November 13, 2012

Ouch! The last couple of weeks have been painful. I don't know what is going on this year, but I've been sick more times in the last 2 months than I have been in the last 5 years combined. Not good. And it hasn't been like a cold or something small either, it's been two different rounds of flu type something, one round before Chequamegon that laid me out for 5 days, then a second round about a month ago, and now this last week some other type of virus. I couldn't figure out what happened at Iceman or Cincinnati two weeks ago until the drive home, that's where it all came together. Sinuses packed up, ears got sore, glands got swollen and sore. Yep, got taken out by another bug and had the aches and chills for a few days after Iceman. At least I wasn't left wondering why I was so empty at the races. I was pretty disappointed to perform so bad that weekend, it would not have been a weekend I would have picked if I could have but that is not the way it works.  And then finally to top it all I got a migraine at work Thursday last week and that thing took me out. I don't think I suffer as bad as some people do, if I catch it early enough and get some migraine medication I can usually just come away with a splitting sinus headache that lasts about 2 days. I managed it this time, but they whack out my system pretty good, I get super jittery when they start, and then I crash and feel wasted when they are done. I think some people get them a lot worse so I'm probably lucky.

Anyway, despite my mortality I managed to pull myself together enough to make it down to Louisville for USGP round 7-8 this last weekend. I was unsure I should go and Saturdays' race wasn't my best, but it didn't feel bad so Sunday I went for it and actually had a good solid race. Anytime I can be top 10 at a National level race like a USGP I am pretty content and Sunday I was able to finish 7th so I was pleased with that.
Now I just need to make it through this last weekend in Iowa at Jingle Cross and I'll be looking forward to a few weekends without traveling or racing. I think my body could use the rest and recovery and hopefully also get some training and fitness for the remainder of the season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good results despite all the sickness.