March 28, 2007

Dialed In

Today was an interesting day for me. A couple months ago I made an appointment at the Boulder Center of Sports Medicine and today I went in and had a 3D bike fit done by Todd Carver. I've had some small issues bothering me for a while, and as my dedication to cycling has grown these last few years it was finally time to make sure everything is as good as it can be for maximum performance and comfort.
They set you up with special nodes on your legs and the movement is recorded using infrared cameras to a computer where it can me measured to the smallest of degrees. Adjustments are made, and then a second recording is done to see the results and changes from the initial setup.
We made some adjustments which turned out to be exactly what had been bothering me so hopefully after a couple weeks in the new position I see some definite changes.
Something like this can definitely get pretty techy when you're just listening to it being explained, but when you actually see it on paper and can see what is going on it makes a lot more sense.

I left feeling a lot more confident about my position and riding style as a whole which was a really good feeling. When you spend as much time in the saddle as I do, and dedicate so much to the sport throughout the entire year, it's a small price to pay to get that much more confidence and an extra 5% efficiency.
I'm hoping for the same effect Gunn Rita Dahle had after she left, I don't think she's lost since.

2 comments:

SquidBuzz said...

So what did they change for you and how much does it cost?

Anonymous said...

How is the fit working out. I am thinking about getting 1 done as well.

Brian