February 25, 2012

Spring Training and a Baby

sisters

I guess it took us having our 2nd child to get me back on the bike. We weren't due until early March but Jocelyn came early and on February 17 at 7:30am we had our second child. From my perspective it went pretty well, Jocelyn is a lightweight at 5lbs 12oz but she is doing fine. What that meant for me was taking a week of FMLA from work and hanging out at home all last weekend and this week. It turned out to be the perfect week for riding as it was in the mid 30s for most of the week and pretty nice out. I haven't been on the bike for quite a while so it was a sort of spring training session for me to get some endurance back in the legs while everyone was taking their afternoon naps. It hasn't been too hard transitioning from one kid to two yet but maybe that's because J is sleeping a lot right now and being a lot better than Ellie was when she was born. Hoping it keeps going that way.


It has been enjoyable being off work and not racing bikes at the same time, barely even training at that. I haven't taken any vacation in the last 3 years that didn't involve a bike race event because I just don't have enough vacation to race and take an actual vacation. I didn't get any time off when Ellie was born so this has been a nice break and fun time to be with the family without much going on.

I haven't really thought about what the plan is for the coming season yet but now that baby #2 is here early I'll probably need to sit down with the coach again and start laying the plans down. Currently I don't have a team for mtn bike and that has been a disappointment but hopefully in the next couple weeks I can find some support. If I can't find what I am looking for I'll probably pick and choose more what I'll do until later in the season but we'll see how things progress. I've probably had my best two seasons in row the last two years but just haven't been able to find the support that I had or need to race at a high level so far for this year. We'll see what happens.

the finished project

I did finish up the wood projects I was working on, got in some more sledding yesterday and also got my new road bike from Blue. I've been on it now all this week while I was riding and it's really nice. It usually takes me about a month to get a bike to fit me well but so far I've only adjust the seat a tiny bit and have felt perfect on it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congradulations on the new baby