March 31, 2010

I can't believe the weather the last month. Since I posted last I figured I'd still be skiing right now but that all ended a few days after I posted when it rained for almost a week and the snow went from being 2ft deep to being gone. Usually I don't get too excited about March when it warms up a little because that's when it seems the temperature hovers at about 35-40 endlessly with rain/sleet and riding inside is still normal. Not this year it seems, I'm still holding my breath but riding outside in March was great. 40s-50s and lots of sun and I haven't gotten wet on a ride yet. Riding when its above 35 is generally pretty comfortable if it is not windy or raining so I feel lucky to have made it through March with this.
Today is the first day I have seen my legs outside since last October probably, it isn't very pretty, 6 months under leg warmers. It felt strange to have the wind blowing over them and once again like every spring I discovered I have not clue how to dress when it is over 60. I know exactly what to wear in 5 degree increments for everything under 40, but today when I went out it was over 60 and I was clueless. It actually feels warm over 60 when you step out of the house which is a shock to the system when you are use to brisk winds and a chilly first 15 minutes of a ride, I forget that 60 outside is generally what it feels like inside which means insulated long sleeves and leg warmers with shoe covers is going to be way over dressed. At least I have learned the art of utilizing the back pockets to their full extent since that is where everything ended up after 1/2 an hour.

I managed to sneak out of work and get a race in over the weekend in MI - the Barry-Roubaix. It was a great race, hard course on gravel roads with lots of steep short climbs. I seemed to be riding well and got away somewhat early on with Derek Graham (Bissell) and Mike Anderson (GF) and we rode a good tempo until I flatted about an hour and a half in. I was bummed, not sure how it happened, I might have had my tires inflated too hard and slit it on a rock, I didn't really look and didn't really care since I couldn't fix it. First race and forgot a sealant using tubulars - ooops. I thought the feed zone at the start of the 2nd lap might be close so I jammed for a long time as groups slowly passed me but it took over 1/2 an hour to finally reach it at which time my motivation to chase was gone and instead I climbed in the car and headed back home early.
Thanks to dad for driving me there all night while I slept in the back of the car, the life of a 2nd shifter and early Saturday morning racers isn't that good, but we got there and raced, felt good and had a good time so sleep deprivation and racing isn't all that bad no matter how much the pros complain about the aches and pains of racing bikes and traveling. It's either that or not race so I'll just make do I guess.

Hopefully get some pics up soon, for now I'll leave you with our 9month old, I can't believe she's that old already. She likes her new pajamas.

1 comment:

Dylan said...

Oh yeah! I wish I had a pair of those pajamas too and I'm almost 30 years old. My bday is on Easter this year and I really dig those footies!