March 20, 2008

Things I Noticed Today

I don't know what to talk about first. Today I put slick tires on my bonk bike and for the first time in like 5 months rode with about 90psi, all I have to say is I sure felt a lot faster than running half flat cross tires for the last 5 months. It was nice, a little rough, but I gained like 3 mph so when I want to go really fast I'll ditch the triple thick 700x28s and go with something lighter.

I noticed on my ride today that a lot of animals, signs and guardrails got wasted over the winter. Almost all the bridges I went over today had mashed up guardrails and the funniest part of that was that they just put a big orange safety triangle with a flashing orange light on top right in front if it saying "ok people, avoid this part of the guardrail cause it's broken and you'll crash into the river if you hit it here". That's when I started to notice all the frozen dead cats, skunks and raccoons that are slowly melting out of the ditches and snowplow drifts, pretty nasty and there's tons of em. I have never seen that much destruction during a spring thaw ever before. It was a bad winter to be a guardrail or rodent.

In more important news, today it was announced that Jonathan Page will be riding for Planet Bike. I think we are all pretty excited about that and it will be great for me to have someone like him on the team to motivate and learn from firsthand. There is some other fun news too, but I'm not sure what I have permission to talk about yet so I'll leave you with this until the official press release next month when JP is in town, or when I know exactly what news I can give. I think this coming cross season is going to be pretty rad with all that is going on and I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments: