August 8, 2007

The Slowwwwww Return To Health

The last few weeks have been encouraging. Gone are the mornings that I wake up with aches and pains in all my joints without even riding the day before and gone are the days I can't get my heart rate above 110 on a ride. Things seem to be coming back to almost normal, just very slowly. I say almost because there are still days that aren't good, but I'm counting more good days than bad in the last few weeks and that is a huge change. It's not even something I can measure on day to day basis, but more of a week to week thing like how many good rides did I have last week - 2, and how many this week - 3. It might not seem like much, but to me it's a huge mental swing after feeling so bad for so long.

I'm still left without answers as to what brought it on, especially two years in a row at almost the exact same time. Over training that brings on sickness? Quite possibly. Sickness that brings on over training? Quite possibly too. I'm left with a lot of questions and no real answers other than I know I have been completely blown away for 3 months of summer two years in a row that comes and goes about the same time each year.

So for now I am being extremely careful as I start to put some miles back in the legs. Every morning begins with a few different heart rate check techniques I have been using, then a self diagnosed "how do I feel overall this morning" test, then finally I check my previous weeks/months heart rates and compare it to how I feel this morning and how my heart rate is responding to previous days training before I finally decide to ride or not that day.
Like I said, I have been able to get out more each week over the last few and am finally at a point where I might consider it training and not riding anymore. Last week was solid, this week is starting out good, I just have to be very careful and take it slowly and hopefully the trend continues and I can hit a race in a few weeks to test the waters. That's the goal at least.
Tristan

2 comments:

SquidBuzz said...

Have you thought about a detox diet like the Master Cleanser?

Maybe 10 days of that might help you out.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like allergies to me. Compare how you feel to the grass, weed, and tree pollen counts. If there is a correlation to one, you may have an answer.